Friday, August 6, 2010

Today Only Mom Moment's

"Putting It All Together in a Plan"



Don't put the Bar Too High!



I think something I wish I could have been told is to relax and not expect to much right off ....I went into homeschooling TERRIFIED will I be able to teach them I only have a high school level of education I am no teacher dont have any degrees EXPERIENCE now yes then NO. I have asked the same things I here new mom's asking will we get done will my kiddo's be where they need to be and I say they will more than likely succeed far more than you expect. For example my children two years ago almost 3 now I guess, had taken their first state testing ever and at that time Lish was in 8th/ 9th, Ian 7th, Matthew 4th, Noah 2nd, Daniel K....... Lish and Ian were my starter's good and bad things learned however they both placed average which is great I was thankful many mistakes made in beginning with them yet God answered my prayer to fill the gaps I was proven this when I read Matthew and Noah's test scores Matthew placed above average 7th grade level at 4th grade and Noah well he tested very above average 2nd grader whom placed at a 9th grade level across the board I was so floored and very blessed and my fears were then put to rest I also use to stress about getting all books done well again not always needed MOST FAMILIES WILL DO FAR MORE BY DOING LESS it isnt more important doing alot more than the importance of it being done RIGHT and UNDERSTOOD!!!



"STARTING AND STAYING WITH A FEW THINGS AND BUILDING ON THEM IS FAR BETTER THAN PLANNING MANY THINGS AND FOLLOWING THROUGH ON NONE."



I am going to give you 7 reminders of things to keep in mind as you create your homeschool plan not only that but these are even helpful reminders in raising and disciplining our kids..........

(Also Please remember every families plans WILL be SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT and this is ok

it is the beauty and purpose of homeschool):



SEVEN REMINDERS FOR CREATING YOUR FAMILIES PLAN:



1) BE COMMITTED- Discipline as well as homeschool is something we MUST invest our time to we cant just do it hit and miss especially in the early elementary ages this is when our kids are sponges and take everything in good and bad so very important to be committed to repetition. There WILL be times when it's inconvenient, were tired or busy, or we feel inadequate or unprepared (I still do from time to time)but it is the commitment to the process that will help get us through negative feelings or thoughts and help keep us on track, and to help us see the positive results in the end. Please take these commitments seriously homeschooling is NOT for EVERYONE and that is ok!!!



2)BE REALISTIC- It is equally important to be realistic about how much you should put on your plate when taking on homeschooling and even disciplining in the early years. Dont expect your homeschooler's to be involved in homeschool group activities multiple times a week on top of sports church and so on to much is NOT GOOD!!

PRAY and agree with hubby about a schedule that best fits your family and kiddo's.



3)Be SPECIFIC- It is important to be specific in a schedule you dont always have to be so ridgid however having a schedule is very helpful with small children and when we have a schedule when things do get off track cause they will from time to time you can then go back to that schedule to help guide your family back on track. This is also helpful in disciplining children to be specific what type of discipline and be specific and stick with it.



4) Be Creative- wedont always have to use the basic rules of classrooms I know families who teach a few subjects outside, some take kids to a friends house where the mom's trade off in teaching there are so many things and resources from which to pull amazing ideas from it is endless.



5)BE ALERT- To your kids learning abilities and the subjects they do well in and not so well in and guide in those areas . Also be alert to your child's changing spiritual needs .



6) BE CONNECTED- Don't go at this alone very bad idea God didn't mean for any of us to be lone-rangers in anything we do get connected in a good homeschool group where you are surrounded and encouraged by other likeminded families whom have same goals as you do.



7) BE A LIGHT- Finally there is no better way to learn than by teaching. Once you put together your families potential plan through the process of prayerfully doing so share it with someone else. Offer to help another family in their process share what works and what hasn't worked and be there to support I have found when I do this it helps me keep it all in focus. I learn as well as I see other's plans and what has worked for them or not. Over all be a light to those watching your kiddo's first and foremost then all those around may we be families set apart from the ways of this world.



REMEMBER THIS IMPORTANT TIP MAYBE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT :

There is no photocopy of what a homeschool way of teaching should be like it is up to You to pray and see what that looks like through God's eyes for your family alone. May we all learn to NOT JUDGE another in their journey....our job is NOT to judge, criticize, condemn or pose our opinions of how it should be done our way is going to be different then any other because our children are different and were made to be different and that is ok Folks it really is. Instead friends we need to be encouraging, uplifting, SUPPORTIVE, The Iron that Sharpens Iron, and above all we need to be LOVING to ALL!!!
GOD BLESS your journey to homeschool if your a first timer or a seasoned homeschooler may God Multiply your families efforts this school year.

Until Next Time,
Cindy

No comments:

My New Book I am currently reading by Favorite blog sister Ann Voskamp

My New Book I am currently reading by Favorite blog sister Ann Voskamp
Best Book of the Year This dear sister in the Lord writes with such eloquence I cant even put the book down it becomes so REAL for me the pages come to life! This is a MUST read!!

Mel and I at one of the scrapbook weekends at church!!!

Mel and I at one of the scrapbook weekends at church!!!
I love ya sis!!!

My Playlist